Apple chips are thinly sliced apples that are lightly sprinkled with cinnamon, then baked until pleasantly crisp. Healthy homemade apple chips are a remarkably addictive snack.
Homemade crunchy apple crisps, perfect family and dog treat
Baked cinnamon apple chips are a healthy snack and dog friendly too! Baked apple chips are a great homemade dog treat. They also pack and travel well. Perfect for long trail walks.
Dog treats are so much easier to make than you may think. I’ll be sharing with you a great apple crisp dog treat recipe made with just three ingredients. As simple as that! Plus, it’s a great homemade gift for your four-legged furry friend.
This apple chips recipe is an easy homemade treat to make and I bet you have all the items needed in your kitchen.
Apples have just the right amount of sweetness that our family and pets crave, without any of the added sugar that can be found in store-bought treats. Bake them crispy, and sprinkle with a little cinnamon for a treat they’ll beg for again and again.
Best Apples to Use for Baked Apple Chips
- pink lady
I recommend using a sweet crisp apple for apple chips.
It’s a great treat indeed and best if you completely dehydrate it to pull ALL the moisture out. The dehydration will allow you to store these tummy yummies at room temperature without the risk of them getting moldy. You will know that your apple chips are fully dehydrated if they break with a ‘snap’.
- 1 medium size Apple
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Slice the apple into thin chips, best if using a slicer.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 200°F on a tray, in your oven or dehydrator, until the slices become crispy. Anywhere from 4-8 hours. (For a 2 hour bake, see notes below).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Tips for Making Apple Chips
- Thin slices are best! If you slice the apples more than 1/8 inch thick, they will still be delicious, but they won’t be crisp.
- The color of the final apple chip will vary based on the type of apple. Crisper apples tend to be lighter, while softer, sweeter apples tend to be darker.
- The total cooking time will vary based upon the moisture content of your apples.
Why are my apple chips soggy?
When apple chips are made simply with apples, yes they are a healthy snack. Why are my apple chips soft? If the chips are cut too thick, or not baked long enough, they will likely turn out soft. Slice them thin and make sure to bake or airy fry for the recommended amount of time.
How to Store Baked Apple Chips
- Store baked apple chips in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Ways to Enjoy Baked Apple Chips
- Favorite ways to enjoy these: Chopped and sprinkled over yogurt with granola, on top of salads, on top of oatmeal, and, of course, right out of the container!
How to Store Apple Chips
- Apple chips will keep for 1 week stored in a well sealed, airtight container.
- Just be sure they’ve been thoroughly dried in the oven or they can go stale after a day or two.
There’s something absolutely rewarding about making homemade treats. Apple chips are one of the best homemade family and dog-friendly treats we’ve made. Making it a great homemade gift to anyone, especially if you are a new pet parent.
Also, if you’re looking for the perfect gift for a dog lover in your life that seems to have it all, you’ve come to the right place. Cinnamon baked apple chips are perfect for the entire family and dog-friendly too!
Here is a list of 10 great gift ideas for the dog owner who has everything (or so they thought!).
The good news is that there’s no shortage of great dog gear or puppy-themed accessories for you to pick from.
Some of our other favorite homemade gifts for pets are rope toys. Here is our take on a felt braided rope dog toy you can easily make at home. And kids can help too!
Remember it is super important to dehydrate your apple chips to store them at room temperature.
When you are dehydrating, just make sure that when the treat is cooled that it is crispy, with no softness or give to it when you try to break it.
This is healthy snacking at its finest! I truly hope you give these baked cinnamon apple chips a try. Let me know in the comment section below what is your favorite family treat, bonus points if it’s good enough for your pet as well!
Hi there! I’m Wanda – the creator and author at My Sweet Zepol a healthy food, travel, and lifestyle blog. Passionate about food photography, food styling, entertaining and advocate about creating memories around the kitchen table. With a mission to create easy-to-make meals for the busy family.