This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GustoNestle #CollectiveBias
September is Hispanic Heritage Month and I haven’t stopped thinking about all the wonderful family moments and mom’s dishes. I miss her cooking. She lives in the center of Puerto Rico, an area well known for its coffee. Most of my family either worked in coffee fields or growing some sort of produce. She enjoyed making all kinds of dishes using coffee and a key, (or secret) ingredient. One dish she made and I tweaked a little is a morning french toast casserole. My version includes instant coffee, coffee creamer, chocolate chips, and some crunchy pecans. Making it the perfect cafe con leche french toast casserole. Sounds just about perfect, don’t you think?
- 1 day old Bread, (brioche, french or sourdough are great options)
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® COFFEE-MATE® Liquid Coffee Creamer
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 8 large Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon NESCAFÉ® CLÁSICO™ Instant Coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi Sweet Morsels
- 1/3 cups Pecans, (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter, (cold, cubed)
- 1/3 cups Pecans, (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi Sweet Morsels
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Cube the loaf of bread and toss into the baking dish.
- Mix milk, eggs, vanilla extract, instant coffee, salt together and toss over the bread covering every piece of bread.
- At this time toss in the chocolate chips and pecans. I use my hands and push the bread down into the milk mixture to make sure every piece of bread is well soaked.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours to over night.
- For the streusel mix light brown sugar, flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt and the cinnamon together.
- Cut cold butter in cubes and using a fork, (or your fingers) mix into the flour making a coarse texture. You want to end up with pea size clumps or smaller. Keep in mind, it's a crumb not a paste. Don't over mix it.
- Add the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Evenly sprinkle over the bread casserole and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Note: If you notice the casserole browning too much just cover with aluminum foil.
- Once baked let it cool for just a couple of minutes. Serve and enjoy!
For the record, anything that pairs as well with my morning cup of coffee and liquid coffee creamer is a recipe worth making over and over. I had recently snagged at Walmart some of my favorite NESTLÉ® products. Some for my morning coffee, another an after school snack for the girls and some chocolate chips that pairs well with just about anything even on their own.
If you are anything like me, or have a mom, or grandmother like my abuelita you have chocolate chips and instant coffee in your cupboard. My mom loves her instant coffee. Nothing beats creating meals with ingredients you have easy access to by having them in hands reach. My girls loves snaking on HOT POCKETS® BrandSnack Bites right after school and who wouldn’t, they are the perfect size and perfect taste. For those that like me enjoy a good offer, here’s a rebate opportunity for Stouffer’s® Frozen Meal by Ibotta, learn more about it here, enjoy!
It is always important to commemorate and teach our children about the history and culture of their heritage. My girls and I always talk about my years growing up in Puerto Rico, we travel as often as possible and their grandparents come over as well. They always bring treats and food from the island. Their stories are always our favorite, those are the things that make our heritage special. Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated from September 15 to October 15. Happy Hispanic Heritage to all who are celebrating this month!
Do you have a recipe that takes you back into your childhood and reminds you of home? Here are some flavorful ideas that will for sure inspire you.
Hi there! I’m Wanda – the creator and author at My Sweet Zepol a healthy food, travel, and lifestyle blog. Passionate about food photography, food styling, entertaining and advocate about creating memories around the kitchen table. With a mission to create easy-to-make meals for the busy family.