Tres Leches is my husband’s favorite cake. When I started baking more passionately and more often (about 8 years ago), tres leches was one of the desserts I made over and over again. My husband kept on insisting that it needed something…you know that something you can’t really put into words but if you taste it you know exactly what that something is. Right. That something took many, many tres leches tries. That is how my Coconut Tres Leches Cake recipe was born.
You want in a little secret? I was not fond of tres leches cakes. The tastes was a little boring to me. That’s when I tried changing the milks around. I use coconut milk. Not uncommon for a Caribbean girl like me have coconut milk lying around, specially after making some Piña Colada every other day.
Coconut Tres Leches Cake is a Caribbean twist from the traditional Tres Leches Cake. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coconut Tres Leches
2. Spray with cooking spray a 9x13 in pan and set aside.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, give it a mix and set aside.
4. Separate the eggs. Dropping the egg whites in a mixer and the egg yolks in a large bowl.
5. Beat the egg yolks with a 3/4 cup of sugar until it turns a pale yellow.
6. Stir in 1/3 cup coconut milk and almond extract.
7. Beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly pour the remaining 1/4 cup of 8. sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
8. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and mix until well combined.
9. The next step is to carefully fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
10. Pour over the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until after pocking with a toothpick it comes out clean.
11. Mix the milks together in a bowl or pitcher.
12. Pierce the cake gently with a skewer wooden stick or a fork several times.
13. Slowly drizzle all the milk over the cake, making sure that every bit had its share of milk. Let it rest and cool off completely.
14. Transfer to the refrigerator and cool.
15. In the mean time make the whipped cream.
16. In a mixer beat the heavy cream and powder sugar until thick and spreadable. Add some flavor to the cream with the vanilla extract.
17. Spread over the surface of the cake.
18. Toast the coconut flakes on a skillet and top the entire cake. This makes the cake extra pretty and gives it an additional coconut taste.
Nutrition Information: Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g
Coconut Tres Leches Cake is a Caribbean twist from the traditional Tres Leches Cake.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
When I finally had a recipe that he loved we started treating our family and friends with it. During any event or potluck I was asked for the dessert, guess what the request was? Coconut Tres Leches cakes or cupcakes. You read right, I make them into cupcakes too. In fact that is how I started experimenting with the tres leches, I made them into cupcakes. I have old pictures, here… I’ll show you. Note: For the cupcakes I make a meringue frosting instead of topping them with whipped cream. The taste is amazing and perfect for cupcakes, but too much for the cake version.
One time when I made my Coconut Tres Leches Cake was to take to my friend’s house (Katie, from Katie’s Cucina) a couple of months ago for a Food Bloggers Holiday Potluck where I got together with Marvin, Natasha, Julius, Julie, Suzanne and Ricky. Everyone brought a dish and we all had an amazing time! Food always tastes better when the company is amazing!
(Photo credits to Julius)
Note: My husband (Mr. L), Marvin, Julius and Julie were some of the people that convinced me to post this recipe. I couldn’t keep it a secret any longer.
Hi there! I’m Wanda – the creator and author at My Sweet Zepol a healthy food, travel, and lifestyle blog. Passionate about food photography, food styling, entertaining and advocate about creating memories around the kitchen table. With a mission to create easy-to-make meals for the busy family.
I work with your husband who brought some to work today. It’s the BEST Tres Leches I’ve ever tasted! Thank you for baking it for our team.
Thank you Billy for your sweet comment. I am glad you enjoyed them. Be on the look out for other sweets, will need testers for new recipes.
I work with your husband too. Best tres leches ever! Not too sweet just perfect ! Thanks !!
Thank you Andressa. Your comment is very lovely. Will be sending more sweets during the rest of the year and have the team taste them for me. Stay tuned!
Que delicia, i love all things coconut, lol
Gracias Daily, so does my daughters. I personally love Almond Joy, it’s a weakness.
A pesar de que no me apasiona el coco, esa tarta se ve realmente deliciosa. Muchas gracias por compartir la receta.
Gracias Desiree por tu comentario. El coco en esta receta es sutil y se puede eliminar el coco rayado que decora la tarta (de ser necesario).
Wanda gracias por la receta me vuelve loca el coco! Lo voy a hacer en mi casa y me los voy a comer todos yo sola!
Cada uno de estos personajes me encantan por separado (tres leche y coco) juntos deben de ser uno de los mejores sabores del mundo..
Luce delicioso, este es mi favorito de siempre, y con el coco debe estar aun mejor!
Oh my! this looks delish! My husband loves Tres leches también!
Just give BB some of those y una jarra de cafe, y Happy Happy!! BB2U
Me encantan el pastel de tres leches, pero nunca lo he preparado, ahora voy a agregar a mis pendientes, hacer este que se ve delicioso!
Qué receta tan rica. Los dos postres se ven deliciosos
Me consta que este pastel es delicioso pues lo probé! Es delicioso!!!
Wow, i want this right now 🙂 it looks so delicious. I neverthought of adding coco to my tres leches!!
Que delicia, tengo que prepararlo, muchas gracias por la receta Yummy!
The best I have eve had. I could sit down and eat a whole pie at once.
A must try.
I like this cake very much! In my country, they only make cake like this for king. I guess this make me king in the castle!
seriously though, this is the best Tres Leches cake I have had, thanks!
Alex brought in your wonderful tres leches to share. It was absolutely heavenly! Thank you so much for taking the time to make that for us!
My first encounter with this little slice of heaven was during a company Thanksgiving lunch a few years ago. Alex brought your Tres Leches cake and it was certainly the dessert superstar! Since then, Alex has been “requested” by myself and co-workers to bring in your Tres Leches cake – we can’t get enough of it! Thank you for not only blessing us with probably the most delicious version of Tres Leches I have ever had, but for also sharing with us your recipe. The best Tres Leches ever!