This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SummerSoStrong #CollectiveBias
Summer is here and entertaining is happening. For us is on a regular basis. Being born in Puerto Rico and raised in Boston I have family all over. And unexpected visits happen on a more regular basis during the summer than any other season of the year. That means, I need to be ready for them.
While running for some errands in my local Target store I found some cute designs from my favorite disposable plate brand. When it goes to style as well as durability my choice is Dixie Ultra®, just because they never disappoint on either of those requirements. Plus, the cutest Dixie Ultra® designs are exclusive for Target. Making my trip to Target even better. If you have the Cartwheel app downloaded you can save 25% on Dixie Ultra from 6/18-7/1. If not, go and download it, you’ll thank me later.
When I am entertaining I want everyone to have all my attention and I want to enjoy their company as well. Cooking, eating, laughing, making memories is what having my loved ones around is all about. I take all the help I can get. I believe in the strong Dixie Ultra® paper plates, because they will keep up with whatever I dish up in our backyard barbecues, picnics and parties. So go and replace your real plates all summer long. You’ll be one happy hostess.
If I know I’ll be having family and friends over I will make the dessert ahead of time. One of my go to dessert recipes is my Tres Leches Cake, which I always make it with coconut milk. This time I am giving it a twist and making it with Horchata. Sounds great, right? Horchata is a refreshing Mexican drink made with rice, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Here’s the recipe, enjoy served over ice and let me know what your thoughts are. I’m sure you’ll love it as much as we do.
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 5 Eggs, divided
- 1 cup Sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Horchata drink, divided
- 1 (12oz) can Evaporated Milk
- 1 (14oz) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cups Heavy Cream, cold
- 3 tablespoons Powder Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon Powder, to garnish, optional
For the cake
- Spray with cooking spray a 9x13in pan and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, give it a mix and set aside.
- Separate the eggs. Dropping the egg whites in a mixer and the egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks with a 3/4 cup of sugar until it turns a pale yellow.
- Stir in 1/3 cup of the Horchata" target="_blank">Horchata drink and vanilla extract.
- Beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly pour the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and mix until well combined.
- The next step is to carefully fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour over the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until after pocking with a toothpick it comes out clean.
- Mix the milks together in a bowl, including the remaining of the Horchata" target="_blank">Horchata drink.
- Pierce the cake gently with a skewer wooden stick or a fork several times.
- Slowly drizzle all the milk over the cake, making sure that every bit had its share of milk. Let it rest and cool off completely.
- Set aside or refrigerate until you make the whipped cream.
For the whipped cream
- Spread over the surface of the cake.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon powder. This serves as a garnish and also adds more flavor to the cake.
After a long day of entertaining and no dishes that needs to be done thanks to your choice of using paper plates here are some of the reasons why I love Dixie Ultra®.
- They are built strong for heavy, messy meals®
- Soak Proof Shield™ that can stand up to the heaviest, messiest foods you can dish out. Like a heavy Horchata Tres Leches Cake
- Plates are built with FlexProof™ Technology
- 10” plates can handle up to 2 lbs of food! And trust me, my family can eat it!
- Microwave Safe, Recyclable, Cut Resistant – which is a huge selling feature for me.
- And did I mention they are strong? Just in case, Dixie Ultra® is NOW EVEN STRONGER!!
Even after the messiest & heaviest of meals, the cleanup is a breeze with Dixie Ultra and that makes me happy. Get out there, enjoy summer, entertain and make lots of memories with your family and friends without the cleanup!
When entertaining do you enjoy using paper plates and spending that extra time with your guests? I know I do! Tell me, what is your go to dessert recipe for large gatherings?