Produce for Kids has once again join forces with Publix and Feeding America this fall to raise funds for local food banks located in the communities Publix serves. And that is the work I admire and want to be a part of. Don’t you? I know you do too. Here is a recipe, provided by Produce for Kids and a good one if I may say so myself.
Baked spaghetti squash stuffed with a ground beef and veggie stuffing is always a win in my book. It’s absolutely perfect during this time of the year when it’s starting to get a little chilly outside and everyone is craving some comfort food. Comfort food made with fresh produce. Yes, please.
- 2 large Spaghetti Squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Little Bear Brand® sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28oz) can Dice Tomatoes, no-salt added
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, low-fat
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out and discard seeds. Brush with olive oil and place flesh-side-down in large baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until softened.
- Meanwhile, heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef, pepper, onion and garlic. Cook 5-7 minutes, or until beef is cooked through. Drain and add tomatoes, salt and Italian seasoning. Let simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and shred with fork. Add beef mixture to squash, top with cheese and bake 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
When it comes to fresh produce, my go to place, is my local Publix. During this fall season not only can we enjoy fresh produce, but each purchase will make a difference for our local families. Your help counts too. By purchasing select local produce at your local Publix you will be automatically making a donation to Feeding America. Hurry, because this opportunity to make a difference runs from September 28 through November 1.
Once you are in Publix you will find in-store displays and signage, featuring the Produce for Kids® and Feeding America logos next to the products supporting the campaign. Here are the 10 participating fresh fruit and vegetable companies.
- Avocados from Mexico
- Crunch Pak® Sliced Apples
- Del Monte Foods® Fruit Naturals® Cups
- Eat Smart® Fresh Cut Vegetables
- Fresh Express® Packaged Salads
- Michigan Apples
- Suja® Juice
- Marie’s® Dressings
Share your own healthy recipe and ideas using the hashtag #produceforkids. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Follow Produce for Kids® on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for more recipe ideas and healthy eating tips all year long. Please visit ProduceForKids.com/Publix for more information on how to support the campaign.
Disclosure: I partnered with Produce for Kids® and Publix to share how they are coming together to benefit Feeding America and how you can too. All opinions are mine alone. #ProduceForKids