Warm biscuits filled with juicy, sweet strawberries and whipped cream make the best strawberry shortcake. And when you add blueberry lemon sauce to the recipe it makes the best strawberry shortcake with blueberry lemon sauce you’ve ever had. Trust me, it’s out-of-this-world good.
What is a shortcake?
Shortcake is a sweet cake or biscuit in the American sense that is a crumbly bread that has been leavened with baking powder or baking soda.
In the UK, the term shortcake refers to a biscuit similar to shortbread. They are generally less dense and more crunchy and dry than shortbread.
Buttery, soft, and made completely from scratch, this easy homemade lemon biscuits recipe deserves a permanent place in your recipe repertoire. This recipe is made with all butter, no shortening. And the lemon zest with lemon juice gives these biscuits an extra level of flavor that will leave you wanting more.
Strawberry Shortcake with Blueberry Lemon Sauce
Lemon biscuits filled with juicy, sweet strawberries, whipped cream and a tangy blueberry lemon sauce makes the best strawberry shortcake. Making it the ultimate strawberry shortcake recipe for summer!
- 3 cups Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Powder Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Lemon Biscuits
- Blueberry Lemon Sauce
- Mint leaves, for garnish - optional
- fresh Strawberries and Blueberries, for garnish - optional
- Start with the Strawberry mixture: Stir in the strawberries and sugar together in a bowl. Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to use. This time allows the strawberries to release their delicious juices.
- Make the whipped cream: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream, powder sugar, and vanilla extract on medium-high speed until soft-medium peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Assemble the shortcakes: Slice the lemon biscuits in half, a layer of whipped cream, followed by strawberries, blueberry lemon sauce and more whipped cream, finish with the other half of lemon biscuits. Add more whipped cream, blueberry lemon sauce, fresh berries and a mint leave. Serve immediately.
Layer the strawberry shortcakes as you wish. I like to make them as high as possible, especially when entertaining.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 3g
Now it’s time for some toppings. We suggest topping with a delicious honey lemon curd, blueberry lemon sauce, or strawberry compote. So many options and all of them are winners!
Have you made homemade blueberry sauce before? This easy blueberry lemon sauce comes together in just a few minutes. Try a spoonful with your morning yogurt, dolloped over a stack of pancakes, or spooned on top of cheesecake for a delicious treat!
Plus, this dessert it’s a statement on its own. Perfect for when you decide to start entertaining again. After the year we’ve had I am already planning a few small gatherings with my circle of family and friends.
This strawberry shortcake with blueberry lemon sauce dessert practically tastes like summer in every bite. It’s sweet, tangy, creamy and juicy. Filled with textures and flavor. This refreshing shortcake recipe will have everyone asking for seconds and for the recipe!
How long does blueberry lemon sauce store for?
Store leftover blueberry sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Can I freeze blueberry lemon sauce?
Yes! This sauce will freeze well in a freezer bag / container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm in a saucepan on the stove top until the sauce is smooth.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Variations
- Switch the fruit. Strawberry shortcake is a classic dessert, but this lemon biscuit recipe would taste just as good with raspberries or blueberries. Use them in place of the strawberries, or, for a festive variation, fill the biscuits with grilled peach and drizzle with a fresh raspberry sauce!
- Use your favorite kind of cream. I most often fill my strawberry shortcake with coconut cream, but any cool, creamy filling is delightful here. Make traditional whipped cream with heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract, or serve your shortcake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For a lighter variation, replace the cream with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Keep it simple. These lemon biscuits make fantastic strawberry shortcakes, but they’re also wonderful on their own! Feel free to skip the fruity filling altogether and enjoy the biscuits plain, or slather them with your favorite jam for a light breakfast or afternoon snack.
How are you enjoying this recipe? We love topping with sauces, like this lemon and cream shortcake recipe. Also with lemon curd or raspberry sauce and a side of vanilla ice cream. There is no wrong combination when it comes to shortcakes.
Share with us, what is your favorite topping for a shortcake?
Hi there! I’m Wanda – the creator and author at My Sweet Zepol a healthy food, travel, and lifestyle blog. Passionate about food photography, food styling, entertaining and advocate about creating memories around the kitchen table. With a mission to create easy-to-make meals for the busy family.
That looks amazing! I love the sort of biscuity texture of the cake. It’s so rustic.
Rustic and authentic!
I have to make this. It’s my daughter’s favorite desserts all rolled into one.
Mine too I hope she loves it!
What a delicious twist to a favorite dessert. I will be making this soon
Delicious and healthy!
This is calling my name! Blueberry lemon anything is my fave – I love this unique combo!
So unique and so perfect!
I would love to make these for the 4th! They’re so festive.
They are perfect for the fourth! I hope you enjoy them.